If God is Good. . .Why is He so Mean and Angry?


For the last year and a half I've been reading through The Bible one book at a time.  



The Bible is a collection of 66 individual books.  Some of the books are small, but some are quite long. 

This morning I finished reading Jeremiah.  Yes, I did.  The whole thing.  And I'm proud of myself.  It's one of the long ones--52 chapters, 61 pages-- and I'm not talking about light, easy reading here.  The Book of Jeremiah is a deep, dark book.

Jeremiah has been called the weeping prophet. He suffered from what I'm sure would be diagnosed today as long-term clinical depression.  And it's no wonder.  God chose him to deliver a ranting tirade to His much-loved people, the Israelites. 

The tirade is full of threats of judgment because of all the evil they are engaged in, and, to make it worse, God tells Jeremiah, at the very beginning, that the people will not listen to him and that they will end up being judged.  Harshly. As in near total destruction. 

How's that for a life's career calling?

The Israelite kings hated hearing the message God told Jeremiah to give them, and they did terrible things to him.  (This was possibly the first recorded case of "shooting the messenger.") They once threw him into an empty cistern in the city and left him there to starve to death.  One sympathetic colleague finally pled for mercy and they hauled him up and threw him in jail instead.

Jeremiah is so miserable in his performance of this depressing assignment that at one point he says:

"Cursed be the day on which I was born! . . . .Cursed be the man who brought the tidings to my father, saying, 'A son is born to you!' . . .because he did not slay me in the womb, so that my mother might have been my grave, and her womb always great." 
(The is the second recorded case of "shooting the messenger.")

But then Jeremiah picks himself up and goes on to pronounce God's harsh judgment.

I have to confess that for most of my life I've been somewhat appalled and even embarrassed about how vindictive God seems to be in the way he treats the nations of antiquity.  He pours judgment out on every evil nation, including his own chosen one, whenever they rebel against him (which is quite often). God is poetically vicious in his prophetic proclamations against rebellious people in the Old Testament, and the history recorded there describes how God carries out his prophesied judgments in great and gory detail.

So what is this?  Is God a good god, or is he mean, self-serving, vindictive and evil?

I have struggled with that question, at least internally, for most of my life (see February 22 post), and much I've read in the Old Testament seemed to point me toward the second of those two options.

But I have realized this perception comes out of a superficial reading of The Bible. It is dangerous to jump into the middle of a book, read a random passage quickly, and decide on an interpretation of the words without seeing them in their context.

That's what I'd always done with my reading, especially in the Old Testament.  But this time, I slowed down. I plowed through the whole book, making sure the plow went deep into the mucky soil of the text, studying the vicious pronouncements of judgment in their context.  And it was an eye-opener for me.

I came away from this reading of Jeremiah being amazed at the loving patience of a holy God, and understanding more about the anguish of his holy heart as he sees his people resisting his love for them and slowly destroying themselves in the process.

Jeremiah 29:11 says,

"For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome."

But they were not ready for his plans. They wanted to trust in their own. 

He is certainly angry in his rants against them, but he is not mean. I now see in the Book of Jeremiah the same heart that Jesus reveals when he speaks to Israel on his way into their City for the last time,

"Oh Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing!"  (Matthew 23:37)

Jesus spoke these words on his way to the cross where he would give his life to redeem us all from the results of our determined waywardness. His pronouncements of judgment in Jeremiah are loving warnings, and the judgment he finally metes out on his people is designed to lead them back to Him. 

We see this pattern of rebellion and judgment throughout The Bible, but it doesn't end there. It always ends in repentance and rest for everyone who finally realizes that God loves them and has their best interests at heart.

I have come to the conclusion that God's judgment is not self-serving, vindictive or evil.  Not ever. Instead, the whole purpose of his outrage at evil is to draw us close to Him.  He longs to tuck us under His wings, where we will always find peace and rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four Types of Besetting Sins and Three Reasons to Avoid Them!

A Risky Business

Ten Ways to Open Your Heart to Renewal