The Gift of 2020--Out With the Old, In With the New


This morning, before sitting down to watch (virtually) the last church service of 2020, I fix my breakfast. 

 

My conscience tells me I need something better than the dessert cuisine I've been indulging in for the past four days, so I boil a couple of eggs and plunk the last two slices of an old loaf of bread into the toaster. 

 

I suspect the sermon may tell me I need something better to feed my spirit as well--something more eternally significant than the Spider Solitaire games I've been playing while popping Christmas candy into my mouth all week.

 

I am too lazy to make a fresh pot of coffee so I go to the fridge, pull an old, nearly empty, carton of Costco Chai latte mix from the back of the top shelf, pour it into a cup, add milk, and zap it in the microwave.

 

The key word here is "old."

 

I stir my latte, un-shell my eggs, and butter my toast. But when I pick up my cup a minute later I notice three or four clumps of mold have floated to the top. I dump it and fix a cup of instant cafe mocha instead. Then I carry my breakfast into the living room and sit down in front of the TV.

 

The pastor is talking about "The Gift of 2020." Intriguing. What gift? 2020 seems more like a year of God's taking things away than giving us something.

 

I take a few bites of toast before I notice the moldy taste there too, and that's when I begin to wonder if God might be trying to tell me something.

 

End of year.

Moldy food in my fridge.

 

Maybe He's saying I need to do a major clean out of everything about the old year and get ready for a fresh start. That makes sense.

 

But, "No," God says, "It's not the old year I want you to throw out. I want you to get rid of the expectation that things will ever get 'back to normal' after this is over."

 

Ouch. That's not a word I want to hear. "I'd rather keep that glimmer of hope for the future, God, if you don't mind.  It sounds a bit like you might be planning to throw out our 'normal' forever."

 

 

Forever is a scary word. But, thankfully, experience has taught me that sometimes God has to take old things away from us in order to give us new things that are better.  Like fresh bread, and fresh coffee.

 

My friend, Nikki, is a wisely intelligent woman whose spiritual insight I admire. God often says things to her directly, with "Words of Knowledge," and she shares them with those of us who are usually too busy to listen for God's still, small voice.

 

She told me that in January this year God said to her, "Nothing will remain unchanged."

 

She said at first she thought that was a wonderful thing. She supposed God meant He was going to change things for the better. But then she thought, "Wait. What if the changes are not going to be good ones?"

 

Then came March and the meaning of the word became clear.

 

God also told her to keep her eyes on Jesus during this time of change. My pastor said that 2020 was a gift to us because God was using it to shape, or form us into something good. He told us that 2020 was going to change us, but it was up to us to decide how it would change us. We could either spend the rest of this year being grumpy and frustrated about 2020, or we could spend the next few days thinking about why 2020 might have needed to happen.

 

Instead of making the 'normal' list of resolutions or goals for ourselves this year, he suggested we make a list of all the things God might want to change in us for the better as we move into the coming year.

 

That could mean some uncomfortable re-arranging of some stuff in my life, like maybe my assumptions about God--His priorities and goals--or about His purposes for my being here. Will I have to give up some of the fun I have on my electronics?

 

That would be a shame, because one good thing that has come out of this COVID year, for me, is that I have nearly perfected my game of Spider Solitaire. I've learned some new strategies. I used to give in to the overwhelming urge to place a nine of spades on an open ten of spades, where it needs to be, as soon as that ten of spades becomes available.

 

But I've gradually figured out that sometimes you have to put things where they don't belong in order to open up several more productive moves later on. I've found you can get that nine of spades on top of the ten of spades, in the end, if you're willing to live with the uncomfortable feeling that comes when you temporarily put it on an open ten of hearts instead.

 

2020 has been an uncomfortable year. I've had to put lots of things where they don't belong and it hasn't felt right. But what it has done for me is demonstrate that what I've considered to be 'normal' in the past years isn't necessarily 'right.'

 

Before 2020 it was 'normal' to feel secure in all kinds of things that turned out to be unstable. In 2020 we learned that we could not count on health, or wealth, or work, or relationships, or even things we have always taken for granted, like white privilege, an admirable government leader, or police protection. Literally everything we have put our confidence in has crumbled to dust under our feet.

 

The Bible says there is only one sure foundation for our lives. That foundation is a Person. 

 

That Person told His disciples that it is nonsense to put new wine into old wineskins, because when the wine ferments it bursts the old skins and spills out on the ground.  Jesus was, and is, that New Wine. He was, and is, the Bread of Life. He said, "I am come that they might have life, and have it more abundantly."

 

So His message was, and is: "Out with the old. In with the new."

 

God warns us in the Bible that we need to act on this information while we still have the chance. We need to let go of the temporary things we are holding onto and take hold of the unshakable foundation of God's love as expressed in Jesus' life, death and resurrection. We need to do it now, because one day the opportunity will pass.

 

"Seek the Lord while He may be found;

Call upon Him while He is near.

 

Let the wicked forsake his way

And the unrighteous person his thoughts;

And let him return to the Lord,

And He will have compassion on him,

And to our God,

For He will abundantly pardon.

 

For My thoughts are not your thoughts,

Nor are your ways My ways," declares the Lord.

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

So are My ways higher than your ways

And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Isaiah55:6-9

 

In 2020, everything changed, and those changes are going to continue into 2021. I need to let go of my hope that everything will eventually go back to the good old days.

 

I need to let go of everything I trusted in before 2020 and fix my eyes on Jesus--the only firm, unchangeable foundation for my life--my eternal life.

 

And as I keep my eyes on Jesus, no matter what the years that lie ahead may bring, I can rest in the expectation that, in the end, there will be a whole new normal, and it will be a good one.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Growth

Four Types of Besetting Sins and Three Reasons to Avoid Them!

A Risky Business