A Risky Business

 

My life seems to be a constant growth cycle. 

 

I go from an initial place of trusting in God, to an insurmountable problem, to worry and anxiety, to remembering His faithfulness in the past, to choosing to believe once again, to one small encouraging sign of His love—a sign that grows the faith even before I see the answer, to praise for Who He is and what He is going to do, and then, finally, to the miracle. Then we begin again, with a slightly more insurmountable problem.

 

This faith walk is like following stepping stones across a raging river. I step out, jump onto the next three stones that are nearby, then look around for another foothold. I see none at first, then one that is close but requires a bit of a stretch, then another that is no bigger than the size of my foot. This one seems too far to hazard a leap but there is no other option. I cannot go back. So I leap, and then keep on going as far as I can, taking chances, and all the time wondering if I will run out of rocks in the middle of the torrent. 

 

I go one step at a time, trusting, because I have to. No one is going to helicopter me out of the middle of this process, even though it’s a risk each time I lift my foot that I am going to slip and fall. Or else end up stranded halfway there with no way out.

 

But it’s a risk that excites me. It challenges me to keep trying. Because by now the journey is actually a risk-free adventure. My faith experience over the past 70 years has taught me that when I reach a place of desperation, at the end of my own strength and wisdom, I can turn to the One Who created the universe. This same One has held my hand all along the journey so far. I can turn to Him for wisdom and strength and courage and know He will provide all I need to get to the other side.

 

Knowing that He is there and that He is trustworthy has turned my life journey from an anxiety-ridden existence into an exciting adventure.

 


 

 

 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.   

 

Proverbs 3:5-6

 


 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Growth

Four Types of Besetting Sins and Three Reasons to Avoid Them!